Tester, Walsh highlight resources for Montanans dealing with flooding

With waters rising around state, Senators make sure Montanans know where to turn

(U.S. SENATE) – With floodwaters rising around state, Senators Jon Tester and John Walsh today sought to make sure Montanans impacted by flooding know where to turn for support and assistance.

A combination of recent winter weather and warming temperatures across Montana is leading to widespread flooding in many parts of the state. In southern Montana, the National Weather Service issued a flood advisory for several areas, and local flooding was reported in 13 counties. Flood warnings were issued in Gallatin and Park counties.

Tester and Walsh want Montanans to know how to prepare for floods and where to find the assistance they need to recover from – and stay safe during – flood events.

“When folks are facing tough times, it’s important to lend a hand and make sure they know where to get the support they need,” Tester said. “That’s the Montana way, and I encourage all impacted Montanans to take a close look at these resources.”

“We are seeing the increased impacts of flooding and drought across the state of Montana, and I encourage all Montanans to make sure that they are safe and know where to get help,” Walsh said. “Make sure you, your family and neighbors are prepared and use these resources to get information and assistance.”


Those Montanans affected by flooding or pooling conditions should first call their local DES office in their respective County.  They may also contact their local DES office for information on the availability of sandbags and sand in their local areas.  Please report any pooling or flooding conditions to the local DES office as soon as possible.  Producers can call their local extension agents for assistance.

Montanans can contact the Montana Department of Revenue to apply for tax relief for loss due to natural disaster by visiting: http://revenue.mt.gov/home/businesses/taxrelief_naturaldisaster.aspx

The Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and ranchers to repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters. More information can be found here: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=copr&topic=ecp

The USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has multiple Emergency Watershed Protection programs that help individuals and conserve natural resources by relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods among other natural disasters. More information can be found here: http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/national/programs/financial/ewp/

The Red Cross also has resources to help Montanans safely repair their homes after a flood. Visit: http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m4540081_repairingFloodedHome.pdf

Ready.gov also provides information about preparing for an emergency: http://www.ready.gov