For Patients

If you or a loved one are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, contact your health care provider. Those without a primary care provider can access more information through the following resources:

  • Montana’s COVID-19 Taskforce can be reached by phone at 888-333-0461 or by email at
  • Find your local county or tribal public health office, and give them a call – all of these sites have after-hours phone lines to answer your questions.
  • Regardless of your insurance status, if your doctor determines you need to be tested, your test will be free. Uninsured Montanans can call 406-444-7605 or email with questions or concerns.

During these difficult times, is important to remember that mental health is as important as physical health. If you are experiencing heightened anxiety, feeling isolated, or want to talk to someone, the following resources can help:

  • Montana’s HELP Line (run and staffed by Montanans): 1-800-332-8425
  • The Montana University System has issued a mental health toolkit to support students in distress during these challenging times. The toolkit is available here.
  • Disaster Distress Hotline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746
  • The Montana Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence is available by phone at 406-443-779 or 888-404-7794, as well as by email at

For Providers

Do you need information on COVID-19 testing or have a question about a patient’s symptoms?

  • Information on testing in Montana is available here.
  • Both COVID-19 testing and sample review are available 7 days a week. For questions regarding testing, call Montana’s testing hotline 24/7: 1-800-821-7284.
  • Visit the Centers for Disease Control’s frequently asked questions here.

Is your facility reporting a shortage of supplies, personal protective equipment, or personnel?

  • Facilities facing shortages of personal protective equipment can contact their local Disaster Emergency Services (DES) Coordinator to register need with the State of Montana. Find your local DES Coordinator here.

Do you need additional information on telehealth services?

For Parents

School re-opening for the 2020-2021 school year will be decided at the local level. Local school boards and health departments have the legal authority to determine how schools will operate, unless overridden by directives issued by Governor Bullock.

  • For answers to frequently asked questions as provided by the Montana Office of Public Instruction, click here.

Find resources below for students continuing to engage in distance learning:

  • Does your child get free-lunch at school? Your school district should be in touch about where your family can pick up your child’s meal while school is out. If you need additional help with supplies and groceries, visit Montana Food Bank Network for more information.
  • Are you having trouble financing broadband services for home learning? Talk with your internet provider or apply for Lifeline through the Federal Communications Commission here.
  • If your children are under 5 years old, you may be eligible for WIC, which serves women with infants and young children. To find out more, you can call (800) 433-4298 or (406) 444-5533 or email
  • If you’re worried about keeping your kids occupied:
    • Sign up for PBS Kids’ daily newsletter on educational games and activities to do with your children here.
    • Visit the National Education Association website for a number of resources for parents of all age groups from teachers here.
    • For digital and printable resources to support at-home learning for students age 3-18, click here.
  • If your child seems anxious by this abrupt change in his or her routine or if you need help talking to your family about coronavirus, see this helpful resource to help your family cope.

Child care assistance:

  • The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services is offering grant funding for programs supporting Montana families with school-aged children. For more details on program eligibility, click here or contact DPHHS at 1-888-333-0461. Eligible organizations can apply here.
  • The COVID-19 pandemic has created unique challenges for Montana families that have members in need of specialized care. The Special Circumstance Scholarship is available to help parents offset costs for children aged 0-18, such as individualized or specialized care, respite, increased food and supply costs for in-home childcare, cleaning, needs and support for remote learning. For more information, click here.

For tribes and urban Indian communities

Resources for Tribal or urban Indian leaders are available here:

For workers

Resources are available to those that have experienced reductions in hours or loss of employment due to COVID-19:

  • Governor Bullock recently waived the one-week waiting period to receive unemployment benefits. If you think you qualify for unemployment, you can call 406-444-2545 or go online at
  • For the Montana Department of Labor and Industry’s frequently asked questions, click here.
  • If you’re self-employed, an independent contractor, or otherwise do not qualify for regular unemployment benefits, you may qualify for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA). For more info or to apply for benefits, click here.

For employers and business owners

The state has used Coronavirus Relief Funds to offer a number of programs for small businesses, including to help with existing business loans and industries hit particularly hard by the crisis. For more information, click here.

  • For questions about the paid leave provisions recently implemented by Congress:
  • The Small Business Administration (SBA) has drastically expanded access to low-interest loans to help businesses, nonprofits, and the self-employed recover from disasters – more information is available here.
  • Businesses can also contact the SBA Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 or
  • For nonprofits, Montana Nonprofit Association has a number of resources, available here.
  • Over 200 telecommunication companies have committed to the FCC’s Keeping Americans Connected Pledge. This means maintaining services and waiving late fees for customers suffering due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Check if your provider has made that commitment here.

Economic Impact Payments (EIP)

Anyone eligible for the one-time payments can find more information at

  • For eligible individuals who didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, the IRS has guidance on providing simple information to receive your payment here. This portal will remain open until October 15.
  • For eligible filers, the IRS has launched a “Get My Payment” portal for folks looking to check the status of their payments and confirm deposit information here.
  • For eligible who have not been able to access their correct Economic Impact Payment amount, the IRS has provided detailed information here. The IRS is also available to answer questions regarding EIPs at 800-919-9835.

For renters and homeowners

For older Montanans and those with underlying medical conditions or disabilities

For veterans and their families

Any veteran with symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath should immediately contact their local VA facility by calling MyVA311 at 844-698-2311 (press 3 to be connected).

  • Veterans can also send secure messages to their health care providers via My HealtheVet, Veterans’ Affairs’ (VA) online patient portal. VA clinicians will evaluate veterans’ symptoms and direct you to the most appropriate providers for further evaluation and treatment, or arrange a video appointment through their telehealth option. This may include referral to state or local health departments for COVID-19 testing.
  • Help is available for veterans in crisis by calling the Veteran Crisis Line at 1 (800) 273-8255 and pressing 1, at, or by texting 838255.
  • For a list of responses to frequently asked questions on COVID-19, including VA health care benefits, cemeteries, and more, visit the VA website here.
  • The latest coronavirus updates can be found on or on VA’s public health page.

For Montanans abroad

If you are traveling abroad and having trouble accessing safety and security information:

  • Register for the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive the latest security updates, travel advisories, and notices from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The information you provide can help U.S. embassies provide assistance to you or your loved ones in the case of an emergency overseas.