Baucus, Tester congratulate the Battlin’ Bears, introduce resolution
Senators honor Rocky Mountain College champions
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Montana’s U.S. Senators Max Baucus and Jon Tester today introduced a resolution to formally congratulate the Rocky Mountain College Battlin’ Bears.
The men’s basketball team beat the odds and won the 2009 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) national championship in Kansas City last night, defeating the Columbia College Cougars 77-61.
“Congratulations to Coach Dreikosen, and the entire Battlin’ Bears championship team,” Baucus said. “You represented Rocky Mountain College, the Frontier Conference, and our state very well, and we are all proud of you.”
“Congratulations on a well-deserved championship, and for showing the rest of the country that in Montana, we know how to play ball,” Tester told the team in a statement today. “We know how to fight. And we know how to win.”
Baucus’ and Tester’s U.S. Senate resolution appears below.
Congratulating the Rocky Mountain College Battlin’ Bears for winning the 2009 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Men’s Basketball National Championship.
Whereas, on March 24, 2009, the Rocky Mountain College Battlin’ Bears won the 2009 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Men’s Basketball National Championship title with a stunning 77-61 triumph over the Columbia College Cougars;
Whereas Rocky Mountain College, located in Billings, Montana, is one of the premier liberal arts schools in the State of Montana;
Whereas Rocky Mountain College forward Devin Uskoski was named the Most Valuable Player of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics men’s basketball tournament;
Whereas Devin Uskoski averaged 17.4 points per game and 11 rebounds per game throughout his senior season;
Whereas the Battlin’ Bears finished the 2009 season with a record of 30-8 and won 10 of their final 11 games;
Whereas Rocky Mountain College fans across Montana supported and encouraged the Battlin’ Bears throughout the basketball season;
Whereas Rocky Mountain College President Michael R. Mace and Athletic Director Robert Beers have shown great leadership in bringing academic and athletic success to Rocky Mountain College; and
Whereas the people of the State of Montana celebrate the success and share the pride of Rocky Mountain College:
Now, therefore, be it Resolved, that the Senate—
- Congratulates the Rocky Mountain College Battlin’ Bears for winning the 2009 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Men’s Basketball National Championship;
- Recognizes the achievements of the players, coaches, students, and staff whose hard work and dedication helped the Rocky Mountain College Battlin’ Bears win the championship; and
- Respectfully requests the Secretary of the Senate to transmit an enrolled copy of this resolution for appropriate display to—
- the President of Rocky Mountain College, Michael R. Mace;
- the Athletic Director of Rocky Mountain College, Robert Beers; and
- the Head Coach of the Rocky Mountain College basketball team, Bill Dreikosen.