Proposed Changes to Strengthen Grazing Provisions
Include grazing in the findings section of the bill
- The Issue: Some in the ranching community feel this bill focuses too much on timber, recreation and wilderness, when grazing is an important use of federal lands.
- The Change: Sen. Tester will propose adding language to the Findings and Purposes section of the Forest Jobs and Recreation Act to convey that grazing is an important part of Montana's heritage and economy.
- Where the idea came from: An individual rancher in the Ruby valley and the Montana Stockgrowers Association.
Add language for grazing permits
- The Issue: Some have concerns about how grazing will be interpreted in wilderness areas.
- The Change: Sen. Tester will propose that the grazing provisions in his bill be inserted, verbatim, in future grazing permits for the new wilderness areas created by the Forest Jobs and Recreation Act.
- Where the idea came from: A rancher in a meeting with the Montana Stockgrowers Association.