Skip to Content
Resize Text:      A A

Wildfire Resources

Senator Tester visits Montana communities affected by wildfiresDangerous and destructive wildfires burning across Montana pose risks to the safety of folks on the ground and the health of our communities.

But Montanans are resilient. And we'll work together, as we always have, to face down the challenges of this year's fire season and come back stronger than before.

As I work to ensure folks' safety Montanans should know that my staff and I will not take our eyes off the ball. We're pushing hard to make sure federal emergency officials see what's happening, and that resources are available to Montana communities.

Below is some useful information for Montanans dealing with the effects of wildfires. As always, be in touch to keep me posted on what else my staff and I can do to help.

Be safe,


First Contact

If you need emergency assistance (including new active fires, evacuation or medical attention) call 911 or contact your local fire department or county sheriff.

Red Cross Montana
(ask for the Duty Officer for Montana)

Montana Disaster and Emergency Services

Disaster Declaration

Presidential Major Disaster Declaration (M4074) for Wildfire dated August 2, 2012 results in Powder River & Rosebud counties and Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation named primary natural disaster areas and eight Montana counties (Big Horn, Carter, Custer, Garfield, Musselshell, Petroleum, Treasure, Yellowstone) and three Wyoming counties (Campbell, Crook & Sheridan). Producers have until April 2nd, 2013 to request Emergency loans at 2.25% from the Farm Service Agency.

Click here for more information.

ECP (Emergency Conservation Program)

  • The ECP Wildfire program was authorized in response to wildfires for Rosebud, Powder River, Treasure, Cascade, Custer, Jefferson and Big Horn counties. Those interested in this cost-share program available to help restore fences, water and conservation structures, should contact the county office of the Farm Service Agency.

Wildfire range and pasture recovery

Funds are available through the Natural Resources Conservation Service at the request of private landowners to assist with:

  • reseeding grass that has burned at high intensity
  • deferring grazing to allow grass to become re-established on fire damaged land
  • controlling noxious weeds as grass becomes re-established

Interested producers should contact their local office of the Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Small Business Administraton Assistance

The Small Business Administration announced it will offer low-interest disaster loans to Montana residents and businesses affected by the Ash Creek and Dahl Wildfires. Assistance is available in Rosebud, Musselshell, Big Horn, Custer, Fergus, Garfield, Golden Valley, Musselshell, Petroleum, Powder River, Treasure, and Yellowstone Counties.

Click here for more information.

Incident Information

InciWeb: Montana Fires

Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation

Northern Rockies Coordination Center

Wildfire Smoke Updates from Montana Department of Environmental Quality

Drought and Fire Updates from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

Fire & Drought Conditions from Montana Tourism Office

Other State of Montana Resources

After-Fire Resources in the Ashland Area

Preparedness Information

FEMA Wildfire Preparedness

Fire Ready Montana

Red Flag Warnings

Volunteer to Help

Pasture and Hay Donations

If you would like to offer unused pasture or hay and its transportation, call DES in Helena at 406-324-4777, Mary in Broadus at 406-436-2424, or Lee in Baker at 406-778-7121.

Feed and water for livestock is extremely important to landowners and ranchers affected by the Ash Creek Fire. Locally that effort is being coordinated by the Powder River DES Coordinator Becky McEuen who can be reached 406-436-2762.

Montana Department of Agriculture Hay Hotline

Office Contact Information

Senator Tester's Montana staff serves the state from offices in Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Glendive, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula. Please bring your concerns with federal agencies, academy nominations, and other situations to one of these Montana offices.


Judge Jameson Federal Building
2900 4th Ave N, Suite 201
Billings, MT 59101
Phone: (406) 252-0550
Fax: (406) 252-7768


Avant Courier Building
1 E Main Street, Suite 202
Bozeman, MT 59715
Phone: (406) 586-4450
Fax: (406) 586-7647


Silver Bow Center
125 W Granite, Suite 200
Butte, MT 59701
Phone: (406) 723-3277
Fax: (406) 782-4717


122 W Towne
Glendive, MT 59330
Phone: (406) 365-2391
Fax: (406) 365-8836

Great Falls

119 1st Avenue N, Suite 102
Great Falls, MT 59401
Phone: (406) 452-9585
Fax: (406) 452-9586


Capital One Center
208 N Montana Avenue, Suite 202
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 449-5401
Fax: (406) 449-5462


8 Third Street E
Kalispell, MT 59901
Phone: (406) 257-3360
Fax: (406) 257-3974


130 W Front Street
Missoula, MT 59802
Phone: (406) 728-3003
Fax: (406) 728-2193

Home   |   Meet Jon   |   About Montana   |   Services   |   Resources   |   Newsroom   |   Legislation   |   Contact   |   Privacy